GLOBAL ISSUE - BIODIVERSITY AND ECOSYSTEM LOSSES
It is possible that by the end of the next century more than half of all species of mammals, birds, butterflies and plants will have disappeared or be on their way to extinction. This is caused by loss of habitats due to agriculture, deforestation, forest fragmentation by roads and by human population growth.
Links to other GIN networks
Global Issues resources:
- www.facingthefuture.org/ Facing the Future offers great activities and links. Also, subcribe to their excellent on-line newsletter
- www.gi-ants.ning.com GI-ANTS (Global Issues African Network of Teachers for Service) A developing resource for teachers working to support students in service projects across the African continent - Come join.
- www.one.org Anti-poverty
- www.education-world.com/a_lesson/lesson174.shtml simulations
- www.global-issues-network.org Global Issues Network [Official GIN site]
- www.un.org United Nations
- www.un.org/cyberschoolbus Cyberschool Bus – a section within the United Nations’ website offering classroom activities on human rights, women’s rights, health, peace, etc. as well as a selection of games and quizzes.
- www.tenbyten.org Current Event Photo’s and Descriptions
- www.nationmaster.com Great country Stats
- www.energyhog.org/ Saving energy in the home
- www.climatecounts.org Climate NGO
- www.myfootprint.org Eco footprint
- www.stepitup2007.org Climate Change
- countdown2010.net/daversity Biodiversity
- www.makepovertyhistory.org/video Poverty
- www.themeatrix.com Factory Farming
- www.care2.com Action website
- www.wastefreelunches.org Waste management
- www.globalstewards.org/lunch.htm Stewardship
- www.bigpicturesmallworld.com Great resources
- store.videoproject.com Videos and movies
- www.11thhouraction.com 11th Hour Action
- www.sharkwater.com Saving Sharks
- www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?id=7 Art Mosaics
- www.eco-schools.org Greener Schools
- www.breathingearth.net CO2
- www.StoryofStuff.com Overconsumption
- www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_11653.cfm Organic Consumers Association
- www.replayground.com/pages/diy/wordplay.asp Making things from re-used material
- monitor.worldsavvy.org Global Affairs Monitor
- www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf World Stats
- www.oxfam.org.uk/coolplanet Oxfam’s website for children and teachers.
- www.dep.org.uk Development Education Project (DEP) offers a huge array of downloadable teaching resources on global issues and hosts several global projects like for example Developing Citizenship
- www.envirolink.org Envirolink-environmental education resources and links on global warming, ozone layer, etc.
- www.greenteacher.com Green Teacher Education for Planet Earth\
- www.bbc.co.uk/news BBC World Service; Features ideas and activities for classroom exploration plus links to other educational sites.
- www.globalissues.org Global Issues-offers extensive information, articles and statistics on all major Global Issues: poverty, arms trade, women’s rights, biodiversity, global warming, genetically-modified organisms, etc.
- www.oneworld.net One World-as well as links to over 600 non-governmental organizations, this site offers very interesting fact guides on Global Issues www.oneworldaction.org Oneworld.net’s kid channel features on-line fun and interesting activities for primary students.
- www.newint.org The New Internationalist – superb section with classroom activities on some Global Issues. It also has a magazine index arranged by topics
- www.jumpfoundation.org JUMP! - non profit organization devoted to building student global leadership and commitment to service, with an informational newsletter as well.
- www.aislusaka.org/GlobalIssues Global Issues Service Summit Africa 2010, Lusaka -- A website of information and experiences and background about GISS at the American International School of Lusaka
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C-u6kdHuXE The world as a 100 person village and the statistics-video
- www.go3project.com GO3 Project -Students throughout the world measure ground-level ozone on a continuous basis [Grants available for equipment]
- www.pbs.org/independentlens/takingroot/classroom.html Highlights lessons of Wangari Maathai’s Green Belt Movement with excellent teaching resources.
- pltgreenschools.org/ Green Schools
- www.globalzero.org Global Zero
- www.350.org 350.org
- www.worldbank.org World Bank website - good information on many global issues.
- www.aisa.or.ke/page.cfm?p=1173 - AISA-GISS site.
- www.vfp.org : Volunteers for Peace VT non-profit offering international volunteer opportunities
- www.ph-int.org : VT based non profit PH International formally Project Harmony
- purewaterfortheworld.org/ : VT based non profit Pure Water for the World
- www.coeworld.org/ : VT based non profit Children of the Earth
- www.iscvt.org : VT based Institute for Sustainable Communities
- www.vermontis.org/ VT based Vermont Intercultural Semesteras
- www.ourwatershed.org/ VT based non profit working in Costa Rica